Monday, July 10, 2006

MA Court backs Gay Marriage on Ballot.

BOSTON (AP) -- The same court that made Massachusetts the first state to legalize gay marriage ruled Monday that a proposed constitutional amendment to ban future same-sex marriages can be placed on the ballot, if approved by the Legislature.

The ruling was in a lawsuit brought by gay-rights supporters who argued that Attorney General Tom Reilly was wrong to approve the ballot measure because they said the state constitution bars any citizen-initiated amendment that seeks to reverse a judicial ruling.

In a unanimous decision, the Supreme Judicial Court said the proposed amendment is not a ''reversal'' of the court's ruling legalizing gay marriage but a proposed change to the state constitution, which can be legally done through a citizen initiative.

Score another round for intolerance. Since the original ruling allowing gay marriage in Mass, over 8,000 couples have gotten married. Does it really harm the concept of marriage all that much to let other people have the same benefits? That's really what we are talking about, or, at least I am. I don't need the word, I can give things my own meaning. What I want are the social and legal rights and status. I don't want to worry that my partners parents may decide, should she fall ill, that I can not visit, etc. I don't want to worry that should something happen to me, my life insurance company might not honor her as the beneficiary.

Still, right or wrong, and no matter what you think Republicans need to clean their own closets first. They seem to be doing a 'bang up' job of ruining the nuclear family and the state of marriage all on their own:


The above is just a sample, the full list is faithfully maintained in several places on the internet such as Pam's House Blend, and in such articles as this one which is even more specific on at least 10 of our GOP sexually deviant perpetrators. That last one you really do need to look at, because when right wing fanatics start admitting that their first girlfriend was a mule, I really don't want to hear anything about my choice in partners, understand?

No comments: